The GSMA’s fourth annual Shanghai-based event, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, was a resounding success, exceeding our initial expectations of 35,000 attendees, exhibitors, speakers and press/analysts. In fact, MWC Shanghai 2015 was the GSMA’s largest-ever mobile industry event in Asia.
Under the theme of “Mobile Unlimited”, MWC Shanghai focused on how mobile technology – from connected cars and wearable tech to mobile payments and smarter cities – is revolutionising and enhancing every aspect of individuals’ lives.
We were delighted to be co-located with the first-ever Shanghai Digital Information Festival. The Festival complemented the programmes at Mobile World Congress Shanghai by demonstrating how citizens can utilise technology across many aspects of their everyday lives, such as education, healthcare, travel and entertainment.
Both senior-level industry leaders and mobile consumers were treated to a wealth of product and technology showcases, industry learning and networking opportunities, including:
Three hundred fifty companies showcased their goods, games and services at Mobile World Congress Shanghai in 2015. Utilising 35,000 square meters of space over three exhibition halls at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre, MWC Shanghai attendees were able to experience exciting new mobile devices, wearable technologies, mobile applications, back-end solutions, games, accessories and much, much more.
Highlights of the exhibition included:
- The world’s top companies showing the latest mobile technology: Including Alcatel-Lucent Shanghai Bell, Alibaba, Bosch Siemens Home (BSH), China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, Huawei, Migu, Nokia, and ZTE. See the full list of exhibitors here.
- Swiss Fashion SmartWatch Challenge: MyKronoz, a Swiss company that manufactures, designs and develops wearable devices intended to improve our increasingly mobile, connected and digital lifestyles, hosted a smartwatch challenge for attendees. A professional photographer was on hand to take photos of attendees and three attendees per day won MyKronoz Smartwatches.
- ESL Arena: At the ESL Arena, attendees had the opportunity to experience e-sports first hand. ESL, the world’s largest esports company, brought China and Korea’s best Warcraft III players to compete for $10,000 USD and e-sports glory. Along with the exciting 3-day Warcraft III Shanghai Invitational tournament, the arena hosted meet-and-greets and autograph sessions with ESL stars.
- “The Quest for Area 15″: Savvy expo visitors could collect badges around the Exhibition halls using mobile image recognition technology to win great prizes.
- Tech Career Seminars: Local university students were invited to participate in seminars aimed to prepare them for a career in the tech industries. The sessions will provide students with an understanding of the mobile and tech industry outlook, core competencies required to succeed in the industries, as well as insights and tips for pursuing a career in this rapidly growing market.
Expo attendees were treated several themed exhibit zones and pavilions, including the App Zone, Device Unlimited Zone, Gaming Zone, I-Accessories Zone, Start-Up Alley, the European Young Innovators Forum Pavilion, several country pavilions, and the GSMA Pavilion, which featured news and updates on leading mobile industry initiatives.
THE SHOWCASE STAGE
Now in its second year, the Showcase Stage on our Expo Floor was again an exhibition highlight, featuring device demonstrations, product presentations and a series of – fireside chats featuring key opinion leaders, bloggers and tech entrepreneurs.
Highlights of the Showcase Stage programme were the finals for the MobileMonday China Startup Competition; the China Mobile App Challenge; a Showcase Dialoguefeaturing former Green Beret Gene Yu; the Tech Unlimited Fashion Show; and a special appearance and signing by Comic Writer Ding Yichen.
GSMA INNOVATION CITY
The GSMA Innovation City, a highlight of our exhibition yet again, allowed attendees to experience how mobile technology impacts our personal and professional lives. By walking through the interactive city experience, visitors were immersed in the story of the connected life, meeting four modern Asian characters sia whose lives are enhanced by a rich, connected world of new innovations, products and services brought to them by leaders in the mobile industry, including Huawei, Qualcomm, KT, Peel, Thinfilm, Pittasoft, Oral B and Visa.
An exciting lineup of speakers from mobile operators, consumer brands, investors, and industries touched by the mobile market presented at our award-winning conference programme. This year’s programme focused on current industry topics such as mobile identity, network evolution, mCommerce in Asia, 5G, smart cities, mobile financial services and the Internet of Things (IoT).
Keynote speakers at MWC Shanghai included:
- Hon. Paul Fletcher MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Communications, Australia
- Dr. Karsten Ottenberg, Chairman and CEO, BSH Home Appliances
- Xi Guohua, Chairman, China Mobile
- Dr. Walter Schlebusch, CEO, G&D
- Anne Bouverot, Director General, GSMA
- Justin Springham, Managing Editor, Mobile World Live, GSMA
- Ken Hu, Deputy Chairman of the Board and Rotating CEO, Huawei
- Himanshu Kapania, Managing Director, Idea Cellular
- Tadashi Onodera, Chairman, KDDI
- Dr. Sangchul Lee, CEO, LG Uplus and Vice Chairman, LG Group
- Rajeev Suri, CEO, Nokia
- Kaoru Kato, President and CEO, NTT DOCOMO
- John Tanner, Editor In Chief, Telecom Asia
- Jon Fredrik Baksaas, President and CEO, Telenor Group and Chairman, GSMA
- David Thodey, Board Member and Former CEO, Telstra
Be sure to watch video highlights at Mobile World Live.
GSMA Programmes offer attendees best practices, learning opportunities and invaluable industry insights. Developed by the GSMA, these programmes target professionals with real-world experience in important industry subjects. Our 2015 programmes included:
- Digital Commerce Summit
- Global Device Summit
- IoT Summit
- Smart Retail Summit
- GSMA Innovation Series
- Smart Cities Summit
Partner Programmes offered attendees the opportunity to amplify their knowledge about the mobile industry. The programmes were developed and presented by top organisations in the mobile ecosystem, and provided invaluable industry learning opportunities for our attendees. Special thanks to our programme partners for providing these experiences:
- Baustein Innovation Summit
- Digital Health Summit
- Entertainment Unlimited Summit
- ESL Arena
- Gamelab Mobile Shanghai
- GTI Summit 2015 Shanghai
- International MVNO Summit
- “Internet+” China Big Data Development Summit 2015
- King & Wood Mallesons Symposium
- CMCC NFV Workshop
- Smart Supply-Chain Connectivity Summit
- Visa Ready HCE Summit
OUTSTANDING NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES
A key benefit of attending MWC Shanghai was taking advantage of networking opportunities with mobile leaders. Through several networking-focused areas within the exhibition, the Networking Club Lounge sponsored by Ericsson, and several formal Networking Events, attendees could have a great time while growing their contacts and building their network.
A CARBON NEUTRAL EVENT
We’re excited to share that we are committed to making MWC Shanghai the largest conference and exhibition in Asia to be certified as carbon neutral through PAS 2060, an internationally recognised certification system. To achieve this certification, the GSMA is calculating our carbon footprint; implementing a footprint-reduction strategy; and will offset emissions that cannot be avoided. The certification marks the latest step in the GSMA’s long-standing and continued commitment to preserving the environment.
WE’LL SEE YOU AGAIN AT MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS SHANGHAI 2016
If you’d like to participate in MWC Shanghai 2016 (week of 26 June 2016) to showcase your brand and services to Asia’s most influential mobile players and tech-savvy consumers, please contact us today. Opportunities include: