Accredited media attending ITU Telecom World 2017 are invited to join the opening press conference, which will take place on the first day of the event, Monday 25 September, at 13:30 in room 101-102 at BEXCO (Busan Exhibition & Conference Center).
Speakers will include ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao; You Young-Min, Minster of Science and ICT (MSIT) of the Republic of Korea; and Suh Byung-soo, Mayor of Busan Metropolitan City. The press conference will give media a preview of the exciting programme of events and key highlights to look out for in the week to come.
Organized by ITU – the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies (ICTs) – ITU Telecom World 2017 is hosted by the MSIT of the Republic of Korea, one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world. It will bring together an influential audience of key policy makers, regulators, industry experts, investors, SMEs, entrepreneurs and innovators.
ITU Telecom World 2017 combines an international tech exhibition; a forum for sharing knowledge; a networking hub for corporates, governments and SMEs; and an influential awards programme. It provides a unique international platform that brings together developed and emerging markets to focus on smart digital transformation and the global opportunities this offers.
Key highlights of ITU Telecom World 2017 include:
- International Exhibition: The exhibition will showcase digital solutions and investment opportunities from countries and companies from emerging and developed markets alike, with a particular focus on tech small and medium enterprises (SMEs). The exhibition will include technologies such as 5G, IoT, radio frequency spectrum solutions, spectrum management and smart city technologies. Participating companies incude ATDI, CATD, GEW Technologies, KT, K-ICT week, LS telcom, Rohde & Schwarz, SK telecom, Swisscom and Vodafone Egypt. National Pavilions will span from Azerbaijan to Brazil to China to Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa, amongst others, including first-time participation from Benin, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Mozambique the Philippines and Sierra Leone. See who's taking part here. The exhibition will also enable prospective sellers to connect with buyers from governments and corporates alike across the globe. A dedicated B2B and B2G business matchmaking programme will bring together potential investors and connect them with innovative solutions and projects.
- Leadership Summit & Forum: Discussions begin with the top-level Leadership Summit, bringing together speakers from public and private sectors to explore different visions of smart societies and debate the challenges of building a resilient digital future. Forum sessions will then explore industry-critical topics including: how digital transformation is impacting the telecommunication sector; new approaches to connectivity; the development of new technologies such as AI, IoT and 5G; the importance of content and capacity; digital literacy and skills for the smart era; digital resilience and cybersecurity.
- ITU Telecom World Awards: Don't missthe ITU Telecom World Awards,recognizing innovative ICT-based solutions with real social impact from SMEs, governments and larger corporate initiatives alike. The winners of the prestigious awards will be announced during the event and presented by ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao in a high-profile ceremony. All exhibitors and sponsors at ITU Telecom World 2017 are eligible to enter. SMEs may also enter with an application fee that includes a free exhibition pass and full access to the SME Programme of workshops, targeted networking, business matchmaking, capacity-building and pitching sessions.
- ITU-wide agenda: ITU Sectors will be fully represented both in the exhibition and throughout the event. ITU's Development Sector (ITU-D), which this year celebrates its 25th anniversary, will present the work done with its members to accelerate digital inclusion and catalyse digital transformation, while building innovation capacity towards the realization of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
ITU's Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) will showcase their areas of expertise such as 5G, satellite and broadcasting, including debates on areas such as spectrum management and its role in smart digital transformation, exploring how countries are advancing in the implementation of the outcomes of WRC-15 and looking at what issues will be key for WRC-19.
Within its Smart ABC programme, ITU's Standardization Sector (ITU-T) will showcase smart technologies, specifically Smart AI, Smart Banking and Smart Cities. ITU-T will also host roundtable meetings with leading decision-makers in these fields. Programme debates will cover areas such as fintech and smart cities - how smart banking can provide the operational key to making smart cities work; AI and fintech - how the power of AI can be applied to fintech; and the use of AI in smart cities, including the potential to use its beyond-human capability to analyse data around urban planning.
- Side events will provide different perspectives from across ITU, its membership and partners, focusing on a host of activities and areas. They include the Ninth CTO Meeting, organized by ITU's Standardization Bureau, the official launch ceremony of the ITU journal, plus a preview of its first special issue; a session organized by the World Economic Forum (WEF) on Internet for All: Financing Models for ICT Connectivity Infrastructure; a session on Technological innovation and exponential change empowering collective action to meet the SDGs, organized by UN office of ICT; the fourth ITU test event on Compatibility of mobile phones and vehicle hands free terminals; and a Multi-stakeholder workshop on bridging the digital innovation divide: Fostering digital entrepreneurship and start-up ecosystems. The event will also host the annual Young ICT Leaders Forum 2017 providing a platform for young people from across the world to come together, share their ideas, insights and broaden knowledge of cutting-edge ICT innovations and developments.
Opening press conference to launch ITU Telecom World 2017,
13.30 on 25 September 2017
Room 101-102, Busan Exhibition and Conference Center (BEXCO)
Join high-level representatives of ITU, Republic of Korea’s MSIT and Busan Metropolitan city. Discover more on the theme of the event, and learn about the key trends that will drive debate between industry & government.
ITU Secretary General Houlin Zhao, Minister You Young-Min, Minster, Ministry of Science and ICT (MSIT) and Suh Byung-soo, Mayor of Busan Metropolitan City
Note: Media accreditation for ITU Telecom World 2017, 25-28 September 2017, enabling free access to the event for registered media and analysts is open. Accreditation is compulsory.
UN Press accreditation is valid, but registration is required to obtain an event badge.
Journalists and analysts who have formally accredited for ITU events in 2016 and whose details have not changed during this period do not need to re-submit accreditation credentials, but still need to register for an event badge.
Accreditation and registration for ITU Telecom World 2017 in advance is highly recommended to avoid queues and delays onsite.